By Tanya Reinhart
This booklet has significant objectives: the 1st is a finished research of sentence-level anaphora that addresses the questions posed above, and the second one is an exam of the wider factor of the kin among the structural homes of sentences and their semantic interpretation in the hypotheses of the autonomy of syntax and of interpretative semantics built by way of Chomsky. I argue that the anaphora regulations themselves obey extra common syntactic stipulations on all interpretative ideas, and, actually, on all sentence-level linguistic ideas. if that is so, those stipulations may well replicate houses of the processing skill of the brain, and that i finish, in bankruptcy 10, with the query to what volume we may possibly locate correlations among those stipulations and the particular processing of sentences.
Read Online or Download Anaphora and semantic interpretation PDF
Similar grammar books
This ebook offers an leading edge idea of syntactic different types and the lexical sessions they outline. It revives the normal concept that those are to be unusual notionally (semantically). It permits there to be peripheral contributors of a lexical category which could now not evidently agree to the overall definition.
This research presents the 1st description-oriented, theoretically-unaligned account of wh-clauses in sleek English. the writer employs a data-based method of learn elements of either generative and non-generative paintings as regards their relative strengths and weaknesses. Wh-clauses in English: facets of thought and outline is a different blend of statistical findings and qualitative research.
The essays gathered during this quantity, such a lot formerly unpublished, deal with a couple of heavily interconnected concerns raised by means of the comparative syntax of sensible heads in the Principles-and-Parameters process. the overall idea of head stream, the houses of derived buildings created by means of incorporation, and the parameterization concerned are the most theoretical foci.
Offering a unified answer in the frameworks of development Grammar and body Semantics, Hans Boas develops an account of resultative buildings in English by way of grouping them in periods: conventionalized and non-conventionalized. The usage-based version used the following proposes that every specific experience of a verb constitutes a conventionalized mini-construction, that is the most important details for the licensing of arguments.
- Split Auxiliary Systems: A cross-linguistic perspective (Typological Studies in Language)
- Eats, Shoots & Leaves: Why, Commas Really Do Make a Difference!
- The Derivational Residue in Phonological Optimality Theory (Linguistik Aktuell/Linguistics Today)
- Cognitive Approaches to Tense, Aspect, and Epistemic Modality (Human Cognitive Processing)
Extra resources for Anaphora and semantic interpretation
G. g. g. g. John gave Mary the book) . Also, the kinds of TESNIERE'S STRUCTURAL SYNTAX 49 actants which are acceptable are determined by the verb. Thus, John understands truth is appropriate, but truth understands John is not. We thus have to distinguish, among the actants, a first actant, a second actant, etc. and for each of them specify the type of element which can have this role. All these specifications (number and kind of actants) are attached to the particular verb chosen and determine much of what the sentence will be like.
6. Perspectives on Relational grammar: An approach to syntax developed in the seventies by several many linguists, primarily Perlmutter features syntax. that The at in basic least essential common claim some with of Relational grammatical (non-derived) and Postal, has Tesnière's status structural grammar relations in syntactic (RG) must is have theory. As such, these relations are not to be considered as either semantically motivated stage of syntactic borne to clauses or definable in structure.
3) If the verbal node is occupied by a complex unit, we have to analyze it and represent it as a dissociated nucleus, separating the structural and the semantic functions. 4) If any of the actants several units of or circumstants the same nature, we involves identify the junctives and separate the units which they join. 5) If any of these units includes a main component and dependents, we separate these, drawing the stemma accordingly and repeating the previous step. 6) At any point in the analysis, the process may be stopped by the occurrence of a transference.