By Edmonson,Barbara Wedemeyer
Read or Download A descriptive grammar of huastec (Potosino dialect) (Dissertation) PDF
Similar grammar books
This publication offers an cutting edge conception of syntactic different types and the lexical periods they outline. It revives the conventional concept that those are to be distinct notionally (semantically). It makes it possible for there to be peripheral participants of a lexical category which could no longer evidently agree to the overall definition.
This learn offers the 1st description-oriented, theoretically-unaligned account of wh-clauses in sleek English. the writer employs a data-based method of learn points of either generative and non-generative paintings as regards their relative strengths and weaknesses. Wh-clauses in English: elements of idea and outline is a special mixture of statistical findings and qualitative research.
The essays gathered during this quantity, such a lot formerly unpublished, deal with a couple of heavily interconnected matters raised by way of the comparative syntax of sensible heads in the Principles-and-Parameters process. the final idea of head circulation, the houses of derived constructions created by way of incorporation, and the parameterization concerned are the most theoretical foci.
Supplying a unified answer in the frameworks of building Grammar and body Semantics, Hans Boas develops an account of resultative structures in English by way of grouping them in periods: conventionalized and non-conventionalized. The usage-based version used the following proposes that every specific feel of a verb constitutes a conventionalized mini-construction, that is an important details for the licensing of arguments.
- A Grammar of Warrongo: Volume 53(Hardback) - 2011 Edition
- Generative studies on Creole languages (Studies in Generative Grammar [Sgg])
- An Introduction to Cognitive Linguistics
- Pragmatic Markers in English: Grammaticalization and Discourse Functions (Perspectives in Analytical Philosophy)
- The Ground and Grammar of Theology: Consonance Between Theology and Science
Extra resources for A descriptive grammar of huastec (Potosino dialect) (Dissertation)
25 (26) a. Setting the Stage 31 b. Suppose now that in identifying the root of the substituted structure with the frontier node into which substitution takes place, Substitution also merges the feature sets of the two nodes, where this Merge operation is understood as feature uniﬁcation. This yields the desired result that certain substitutions that would be possible on the basis of node label compatibility are in fact no longer possible. In the case at hand, the nonﬁnite CP in (26a) cannot substitute into the CP node of (26b), because of the feature clash.
24) Bill bought a new house VP after Hillary decided to run TP because their ﬁght was over In the second derivation, both adjunct clauses adjoin separately into the main clause elementary tree at the VP and TP nodes. The resulting derivation structure, shown in (25), is quite di¤erent in shape. 24 Derivation structures have largely been ignored in recent work in the Minimalist Program, perhaps because in a system that builds structure one level of projection at a time, as with the Merge operation, the derivation structure is to a large extent indistinguishable from the derived structure.
Higgins suggests instead that serve requires the subject of its inﬁnitival complement to be interpretable as an instrument of the action that the embedded clause describes. 12 Assuming that such thematic properties are represented uniquely on the embedded verb, this means that serve is able to select for a thematic property of the verb embedded in its inﬁnitival complement, across the intervening CP and TP. The following contrasts in complements to the verb decide provide a ﬁnal example of this sort of nonlocal selection: (16) a.